News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: PapaKev on April 05, 2021, 08:39:55 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on April 05, 2021, 07:51:58 AM
blue was red cabbage.

Curveball....

Remember using sliced red cabbage in a soup and it looked like blue varicose veins after it had cooked for some time, scarred, never again.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

PapaKev

Quote from: davent on April 05, 2021, 08:45:21 AM
[Remember using sliced red cabbage in a soup and it looked like blue varicose veins after it had cooked for some time, scarred, never again.
dave

That does sound bad.  :o  Are there any blue foods that look appetizing besides berries?

matmosphere

Cool Blue Gatorade is quite stunning, whether you want to drink it or not it looks kind of cool. I used to use it in photographs to provide color contrast.

Edit- thinking about this I'm not sure i would call Gatorade food.

There might be some blue ice cream that is good?

davent

Not many i can think of, a lot of good looking, good tasting blue/black tomatoes to grow, blue potatoes don't freak me out, purple blue carrots. Anthocyanin

https://renaissancefarms.org/product-category/tomato-categories/antho-tomatoes/
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Grilled Chipotle/Mole chicken thighs with dirty rice. Basmati cooked with sauteed onions/garlic/green peppers, bunch of spices then mix in with black beans, corn, chopped chipotle, tomatoes and topped with pistachios, red onion, cilantro, limes zest & juice.

Prep for tomorrow, made the dough yesterday and set in the fridge for 24 hours, today divided and balled the dough, sealed onto the plates and back into the fridge until a couple hours before it's needed for the pizzas tomorrow night.

Have a good one.dave

davent

April's pizza night.

#1 - Marinara, drained garden tomato sauce, sliced garlic, garlic oil, oregano, arbol chili flakes, anchovies, Parmigiano-Reggiano

# Honey drizzled speck & baby arugula atop more of that drained tomato sauce, fior di latte, arbol chili flakes, olive oil

I think we're reaching the maxed out limits of what we can do with the equipment we have to bake a pizza, pizza stones on the grill does pretty descent crust bottom, finish under the oven broiler needed to get the top right.

Take care.dave

alanp

Dave, with infused olive oil (ie, has had herbs sitting in it for awhile), can this be used in frying, or is it only for salad dressing?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Yeah you can go beyond dressings/drizzles/marinates but i think that's their strong suite. We'll sometimes fry pieces of garlic pull them out at light golden, cook the next foods in the oil and then chop the earlier fried garlic as a garnish. We might use the infused oil for roasting vegetables, that's really good.

Quick google search for frying in infused oil, potato chips, not sure how that would translate from N. America to New Zealand, oil is infused first with garlic & rosemary which is removed before deep frying the potatoes.

Haven't tried the recipe, we go out to eat if we want deep fried dishes, no interest in dealing with the used oils... or most leftovers for that matter.
https://fortheloveofthesouth.com/tag/infused-frying-oil/

Fine Cooking magazine You can use the oil for sautéing and stir-frying, but its flavor is most intense if you use it uncooked.

So go ahead give it a try.
dave

davent

Had leftover  dirty rice from the weekend but used the leftover chicken for stirfry. To add some protein back in, bag of shrimp in the freezer.

A video went up today spotlighting the chef/shop we buy our fish from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBtLZ6Zm9o8
dave

OliverJones

Today I'm making homemade lasagna with bechamel sauce!Good luck to me!

davent

Swamp ramps hit the market this week, (wild leeks), had my mushrooms picked out and went to pay for them and the vendor had gold sitting beside the register, big smile on his face, "you going to cook the mushrooms with the ramps?", you bet, nods his approval...

Grilled ribeye with blue cheese butter, almost got rained out, crunchy duck fat potatoes and shiitake/portabello/cremini mushrooms with ramps.

Have a good week.dave

alanp

Nice assortment of mushies, Dave, I had venison mince stirfry last night with that brown mushroom sauce added in the last couple minutes of heating.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Sounds good Alan!

A quick one, fresh grocery store porcini/chanterelle/asiago ravioli with a jar of our tomato sauce, onions, garlic, celery, button & cremini mushrooms, Arbol pepper flakes, fresh thyme, olive oil and parm.

...and tried a couple different plates.

Have a good weekend!dave

davent

More ramps and ribeye, sauce originally called for shallots, white wine and parsley which we replaced with the ramps and vermouth. Pan fried steak, stir fried snap peas with soy sauce, sambal oelek, radish sticks. Hve to have duck fat potatoes as a side...

Take care!dave