News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We should have a "What are you cooking?" thread. Now we do.

Started by midwayfair, July 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derevaun

I've got young kids and try to find ways to divide paying attention to them and cooking at the same time. This usually means simpler meals, recipes I know by heart, stir fry, crock pot, etc.

Tonight it was "jambalaya." A package of dry jambalaya mix (I prefer Oak Grove Smokehouse but tonight it was Zatarains), with some sausage (andouille is standard but I used kielbasa tonight) and raw shrimp cooked into it. Using raw shrimp gets it a lot closer to real jambalaya; cooked shrimp doesn't do the trick nearly as well. I like to use 71-90s; all I could find here in Green Bay was 16-20s, so I sliced them in half. I was surprised at how much more tender they were than the "gumbo size."

snz728

@Jon, in my vindaloo after the meat is coated in curry (shortcut=patak vindaloo jar), I add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey and some water  and bring to a boil, then turn down temp and simmer

Bret608

Hey, I'm a Louisiana native (now living in Wisconsin too, no less!), so let me weigh in on your finding with the shrimp in Jambalaya.

I think the bigger ones almost always taste better than the small ones. That goes for gumbo as well. I usually get them from the Asian store or even frozen at Target (they're not bad!). I don't remember what count but I think something like 25-30. I like what you did with the slicing them in half.

Also, and I know this isn't typical, but I like sliced, smoked sausage in Jambalaya much better than the ground Jimmy Dean type that some people use, so I think your use of kielbasa was on the right track.

davent

What about a nice spicy Spanish chirizo in the Jambalaya?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

DutchMF

Thanks for the recipes Jon! I know I could have gotten something similar in a million different places on the interwebs, but I like to use something that I know people have been successful with. So thanks again, also on behalf of the Mrs. !

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GermanCdn

One of the summer time faves that Bon and I make are Chicken Pizzas on the barbeque.  It doesn't sound like anything special, and the ingredient combo is a little weird, but everyone we've made it for has loved it.  Recipe is as follows

Garlic Naan (in place of the typical pizza crust)
Marmalade (in place of tomato sauce)
BBQ chicken breast, cut into strips
Sauteed mushrooms
Cheese mix as one sees fit, typically we use a cheddar/mozza blend.

Butter the underside of the naan, then assemble the pizza in the order listed above, place on indirect heat on the grill, leave it on until the cheese has all melted, and you are good to go.

Quick, easy, and delicious, though a little bit weird by some standards.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

That actually does sound pretty good. Citrus and chicken go well together.

I'm not sure whether Lexa would go for the marmalade, but I do have pitas and some leftover moz ...

derevaun

Quote from: Bret608 on July 15, 2013, 08:02:26 AM
Hey, I'm a Louisiana native (now living in Wisconsin too, no less!), so let me weigh in on your finding with the shrimp in Jambalaya.

I think the bigger ones almost always taste better than the small ones. That goes for gumbo as well. I usually get them from the Asian store or even frozen at Target (they're not bad!). I don't remember what count but I think something like 25-30. I like what you did with the slicing them in half.

Also, and I know this isn't typical, but I like sliced, smoked sausage in Jambalaya much better than the ground Jimmy Dean type that some people use, so I think your use of kielbasa was on the right track.

I hear you man, that jumbo size shrimp was a small revelation. I have always just gravitated to the gumbo size because that's what we had growing up--my Dad would get the small sizes right off the boat for like a dollar a pound. My Mom would devein every single tiny shrimp! The big ones can be machine deveined I think. I'ma gonna start using the bigger ones and splitting them so I can still get   piece of shrimp in every bite :-)

I would think that Chorizo would be good in jambalaya. Andouille is just a really rustic, coarse and dry sausage; I can find several things labeled andouille in WA where I normally live, but it tends to be just regular high-processed sausage with a lot of cayenne added, and it adds too much heat for my kids. I used to keep a stash of Savoie's or Richard's andouille and tasso, but nowadays i just go for the plainer stuff.

das234

Quote from: derevaun on July 15, 2013, 01:43:19 PM

I hear you man, that jumbo size shrimp was a small revelation. I have always just gravitated to the gumbo size because that's what we had growing up--my Dad would get the small sizes right off the boat for like a dollar a pound. My Mom would devein every single tiny shrimp! The big ones can be machine deveined I think. I'ma gonna start using the bigger ones and splitting them so I can still get   piece of shrimp in every bite :-)

I would think that Chorizo would be good in jambalaya. Andouille is just a really rustic, coarse and dry sausage; I can find several things labeled andouille in WA where I normally live, but it tends to be just regular high-processed sausage with a lot of cayenne added, and it adds too much heat for my kids. I used to keep a stash of Savoie's or Richard's andouille and tasso, but nowadays i just go for the plainer stuff.
You could always make your own andouille.

midwayfair

Quote from: das234 on July 15, 2013, 05:04:36 PM
Quote from: derevaun on July 15, 2013, 01:43:19 PM

You could always make your own andouille.

Dude, no one wants to know how the sausage is made.

aballen

I had a pot pie yesterday, store bought... ate it out of the tin.  You guys are making me jealous!

jtn191

DIY Subway. Pork brisket w/ sweet baby ray's

selfdestroyer

Damn that looks good.. I just ate breakfast 10 minutes ago and I still want to eat that right now..

midwayfair

Quote from: jtn191 on July 17, 2013, 08:25:27 AM

<<<< Annnnnnnd time for lunch.

Seriously, that sandwich looks like you could hurt people with it.

hammerheadmusicman

Quote from: midwayfair on July 17, 2013, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: jtn191 on July 17, 2013, 08:25:27 AM

Seriously, that sandwich looks like you could hurt people with it.

It looks like eating it would hurt your body quite drastically!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..