News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What is everyone doing????

Started by jimilee, January 08, 2022, 04:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on January 09, 2022, 11:59:59 AM
I think it may be some sort of reverse snowball effect, if that's a thing..  I used to post here more, but the truth is I really don't have anything amazing to say or show to you guys so when it's super slow I don't want to be the ONLY guy who posted something in a whole day.  My mediocre build reports and dumbass comments need to be sandwiched between fancier content that just isn't flowing like it used to..

I really wanted to participate in the BOTY here but all I actually completed last year was a massive multi-box so I wasn't qualified to enter and I didn't see the rules in time to complete another submission (HA!)

Maybe I'll do a report for one of my mediocre builds this week- just to contribute some content.

Quote from: jimilee on January 08, 2022, 06:24:40 PM
One more year to go starting in March and I'll have my bachelors....at 51 and 1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's got to be super exciting- I'm finally starting classes to be a machinist this year at 31 (and 1/2)- better late than never!

It is very satisfying. At times, I wonder why I'm doing this, but this motivates me to finish what I've started.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

I dove into the whole DIY hobby deeply when I started and kept that going for 4-5 years, but then it just faded (also with some other names retreating from the hobby content got less frequent). Frankly, I've never been much of a guitar player and did it more for the building part. These days I do one or two custom pedals occasionally for friends that actually want to play the effects.
Other than that, I have been busy with work, also ramped up my climbing activities (as far as lockdowns let you do this) and also have been playing wayyyyy too much Destiny 2 over the last year on playstation  ::)

But yes, I still lurk around and I have to agree with Jimi. The activity on the forum has gone way down over the last years (despite pandemic lockdowns in winter would be the best to pick time up this hobby).

Brian, did you also see a decrease in business, or is this just the forum? (No need to answer if you don't want to disclose that info, just curious)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 09, 2022, 12:56:03 PM
I dove into the whole DIY hobby deeply when I started and kept that going for 4-5 years, but then it just faded (also with some other names retreating from the hobby content got less frequent). Frankly, I've never been much of a guitar player and did it more for the building part. These days I do one or two custom pedals occasionally for friends that actually want to play the effects.
Other than that, I have been busy with work, also ramped up my climbing activities (as far as lockdowns let you do this) and also have been playing wayyyyy too much Destiny 2 over the last year on playstation  ::)

But yes, I still lurk around and I have to agree with Jimi. The activity on the forum has gone way down over the last years (despite pandemic lockdowns in winter would be the best to pick time up this hobby).

Brian, did you also see a decrease in business, or is this just the forum? (No need to answer if you don't want to disclose that info, just curious)
I don't have time to really delve into playing like I want right now. After I graduate, I'm digging in there. I still play, but not much. I can sneak in a little time to play and build occasionally.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 08, 2022, 04:35:51 PM

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Is that one of the newer '61s? Missed a couple opportunities in the last few months to get one at a really good price but I've committed to selling a couple guitars before buying a third SG. I'm trying to keep my total guitar count to 5 but I'm already +1, haha.

matmosphere

Jimi, it's awesome that you are going back to school. Good for you. I know from experience that being the older person in a B.S. program is a little weird. I finished my Math degree in my early thirties. In hindsight I wasn't that much older, but I already had kids and a decent amount of responsibility, so it felt weird to be in school with a bunch of people who were basically still teenagers.

Quote from: madbean on January 09, 2022, 04:04:21 PM

Is that one of the newer '61s? Missed a couple opportunities in the last few months to get one at a really good price but I've committed to selling a couple guitars before buying a third SG. I'm trying to keep my total guitar count to 5 but I'm already +1, haha.

Haha, yeah I'm there with you In my mind I have about five, but yesterday I remember one that I haven't played in a while and then my wife mentioned another that I had completely forgotten about. Who knows I may have another ten I don't even know about anymore.

Generally I only keep one out at a time and rotate them every week it two. It helps keep the creative sparks flying.

Thewintersoldier

It is Brian, the new standard 61. Sounds and plays excellent. I sold a Les Paul tribute to get it and so glad I did. I'm set now on guitars, all bases covered including bass, my p-bass. Not pictured is my martin acoustic, that stays in the case.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: matmosphere on January 09, 2022, 04:52:55 PM
Jimi, it's awesome that you are going back to school. Good for you. I know from experience that being the older person in a B.S. program is a little weird. I finished my Math degree in my early thirties. In hindsight I wasn't that much older, but I already had kids and a decent amount of responsibility, so it felt weird to be in school with a bunch of people who were basically still teenagers.

Oh yeah, I know. Asking a bunch of irrelevant questions, overthinking things. Was I that way in my first year? I took some time off after my first year, it was a little overwhelming. Shock to the system I suppose.

jimilee

I'm not bragging, but I have just too damn many. How do you decide what to sell? It's like selling my kids. I mean I'm sure I could sell the oldest boy, but the rest...

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on January 09, 2022, 07:44:50 PM

I'm not bragging, but I have just too damn many. How do you decide what to sell? It's like selling my kids. I mean I'm sure I could sell the oldest boy, but the rest...

I had twenty at one time about 8 years ago . Had a massive sell of. I sold everything that didn't get played. I decided after that that anything I had was something that Inspired me to play and actually got used.all my guitars serve a purpose, they sound unique and get played. There's Paul I sold never got played so off it went. I decided after the sell off that for one to come in one had to go too. I hate feeling like a collector or hoarder.
Who the hell is Bucky?

juansolo

Buying (usually spares/repair) vintage computers, consoles, CRTs and the like, then fixing them up. Cleggy and I have come up with video mods and stuff like that for old Ataris. Far less of a DIY scene there though, so even though we've documented it all, very few people have picked them up and used them. Still we get a load of stuff sent our way to do it for them.

For quite some time now we've been working through a guy's collection of super obscure old kit and making it work. Lots of bespoke mods required to get some of this stuff working with modern kit. Which has been fun.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

I'm not really doing a lot.  I've turned my focus towards building some of my model stash and I've messed around with the little TPA amp boards you can get off ebay and the like but I've only completed two builds this year as I'd decided to take a break from it.  I've been working on my cover band since getting my Player Strat, so there's that.  Didn't have anything of standard to put into the BOTY comp.

jjjimi84

I ask myself everyday, what am i doing? Old age and lack of sleep for the last 25 years is really setting in....

I was working on this killer multi pedal build for the BOTY but thems damn rules sidelined me, hahahha but now I am finishing it up to do a video series with it.

Other than that it is paint, play, film, edit and try to come up with good ideas for the DIY videos. Same shit as always just less time to post everywhere.

jimilee

Quote from: juansolo on January 10, 2022, 04:42:44 AM
Buying (usually spares/repair) vintage computers, consoles, CRTs and the like, then fixing them up. Cleggy and I have come up with video mods and stuff like that for old Ataris. Far less of a DIY scene there though, so even though we've documented it all, very few people have picked them up and used them. Still we get a load of stuff sent our way to do it for them.

For quite some time now we've been working through a guy's collection of super obscure old kit and making it work. Lots of bespoke mods required to get some of this stuff working with modern kit. Which has been fun.
Hey, great to see you man, been a while!

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 10, 2022, 07:09:29 AM
I ask myself everyday, what am i doing? Old age and lack of sleep for the last 25 years is really setting in....

I was working on this killer multi pedal build for the BOTY but thems damn rules sidelined me, hahahha but now I am finishing it up to do a video series with it.

Other than that it is paint, play, film, edit and try to come up with good ideas for the DIY videos. Same shit as always just less time to post everywhere.
I took a hiatus from building for a long time before I jumped back on / was pushed.

midwayfair

Playing a whole lot of guitar, but hardly ever grab a pedal that isn't already on my board. Building rack gear and microphones but that requires a significant investment in time, money, and space, so I don't take it nearly as lightly as I did building guitar pedals.