News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Show us your guitar!

Started by ckim715, January 26, 2012, 11:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

DutchMF

Curtis, I hate you...  ;) Seriously, that is one nice collection! You're wife must be very understanding! I know a guy who has a generous guitar collection like yours (themed a bit different though) and every time I'm at his place, I feel like a kid in a candy store! Thanks for sharing man!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

marmaliser

Holy shit !!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I want all of your guitars except "Schecter Ultra with GFS Fat Pats" - it just loook funny  but I am being a bit picky

GermanCdn

Quote from: nzCdog on December 05, 2012, 07:45:48 PM
Wow what a collection!  I assume you have a favourite or two? :)

Yeah, the Donahue.  It has the best back story.  I was in my last year of university and was in a pretty big funk as I could see the rest of my life looming and wasn't overly crazy about the prospect of having to take on the big bad world.  My dad called me up one day and said he'd heard on the radio that Long and McQuade (the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Center) was putting on a guitar clinic with Jerry Donahue and wanted to make a father son night (my dad plays a little bit).  So we went, and of course you put your name in for the draw for various prizes, with the grand prize being Jerry's guitar.  Now, I didn't know Jerry from a hole in the ground as I was a hard rock enthusiast, nor was I a big Tele fan, but I figured a T-shirt or some strings would be cool.  Jerry puts on the clinic and proceeds to absolutely blow my mind.  So they get around to the draws, and everyone who's winning is buddies with the L&M staff, so it seems like the fix is in.  Then they get to the grand prize, and wouldn't you know it, they call my name.  Almost forgetting how to walk I make it to the stage, and I wish I still had the picture, but here's me on stage with Jerry, and all I can think is "Please, God, don't let him ask if I want to jam with him, I don't remember how to even play an E5."  Was offered $2500 for the guitar before I got out the back door of the auditorium, but there was no way I was passing on the guitar.  Played the shit out of it for the next 7 years, still in really good shape now even though it's been retired for 6 years.  It's also the only guitar I've had for more than ten years.

As far as players go, the Classic Vibe, Protone, and Epi with the Custom 5/59 are my favourites, mainly because I've pimped them all the way out and am not scared of damaging them.

The McCarty and Custom 22 are the prettiest, but truthfully they get played very little as I am way too afraid of dropping them or worse.  Kinda like an old band mate of mine who's grandfather willed him a mint 63 SG to which he refused to put $12 strap locks on, and proceeded to drop it on it's headstock on a concrete floor two weeks in.  You can guess what it looked like after.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ettore_M

" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

nzCdog

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 05, 2012, 09:17:06 PM
Yeah, the Donahue.  It has the best back story.  I was in my last year of university and was in a pretty big funk as I could see the rest of my life looming and wasn't overly crazy about the prospect of having to take on the big bad world.  My dad called me up one day and said he'd heard on the radio that Long and McQuade (the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Center) was putting on a guitar clinic with Jerry Donahue and wanted to make a father son night (my dad plays a little bit).  So we went, and of course you put your name in for the draw for various prizes, with the grand prize being Jerry's guitar.  Now, I didn't know Jerry from a hole in the ground as I was a hard rock enthusiast, nor was I a big Tele fan, but I figured a T-shirt or some strings would be cool.  Jerry puts on the clinic and proceeds to absolutely blow my mind.  So they get around to the draws, and everyone who's winning is buddies with the L&M staff, so it seems like the fix is in.  Then they get to the grand prize, and wouldn't you know it, they call my name.  Almost forgetting how to walk I make it to the stage, and I wish I still had the picture, but here's me on stage with Jerry, and all I can think is "Please, God, don't let him ask if I want to jam with him, I don't remember how to even play an E5."  Was offered $2500 for the guitar before I got out the back door of the auditorium, but there was no way I was passing on the guitar.  Played the shit out of it for the next 7 years, still in really good shape now even though it's been retired for 6 years.  It's also the only guitar I've had for more than ten years.

A nice guitar with a very cool story!   8)

jkokura

Curt, I really wish I still lived in Calgary right now... Yet another reason.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

angrykoko

took me a while to get my jaw off the ground.

Wow!  nice collection... realy nice.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on December 06, 2012, 12:40:37 AM
Curt, I really wish I still lived in Calgary right now... Yet another reason.

Jacob

Anytime you're in town man, let me know.  I'll actually be in Yorkton next week for a meeting, and if it goes as planned, I'll probably be there once a month for the next 8 months.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

DUDE! Got time for coffee? In the least I can come find you for a half hour and bring you some Tim's. Or Robin's, or McD's. The options are limited here.

Wait, are we talking about the same Yorkton, Sk? What on earth could bring you here? PM/email me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

The very same Yorkton, my friend (this is a very recent development, as in this afternoon). I'll work out the details over the next couple of days, I'll fill you in once I know for sure.  I'll definitely make some time to meet up.  Probably be closer to the end of the week, as I'll probably fly into the Peg and drive out, and if I do it near the weekend I can drive up to see my parents on the weekend. 

GhostofJohnToad

Here's a few of my friends - I love them all... differently

Gretsch G5120 bought for me by my wife a couple of Valentines ago.

Fernandes Vertigo, their cheap one, but this is my go to and grab guitar, the neck is fantastic and with the p90s I have in it it just sounds great to me.  Plus I'm not afraid to be less than gentle with it.

Squier ProTone Thinline in Bordeaux Red - Twangy!

Body by USA Custom Guitars,  neck by Warmoth, painted and assembled by me, GFS 60s pickups.

GermanCdn

Dude, Pro tone hollow body tele, sweeet!!!!!!!!!  There was one here hanging in a pawn shop for the longest time, but it was damaged far beyond what I was willing to fix.  Sweet axes.

GhostofJohnToad

Pro Tones are totally unsung.